lee .224 sizing die punch not hard enough to swage

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lee .224 sizing die punch not hard enough to swage

Post by DanRickard on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:35 am

i used my lee .224 sizing die punch as a punch for swaging .224's. it didn't work out so well.

it started out ok, but noticed the bullets where not forming as well as they should.. i moved the die down a 1/4 turn, and did a couple, and still no change, kept moving it after a couple until i got about 2 full turns lower, and started to think something was not right here, the bullets should have been forming much further down than they should.
i finally noticed the punch had bent to all hell.. luckly i didn't deform my die.

so, i went to the hardware store and picked up a #8 tempered bolt, and started turning it down with my drill motor and bench grinder and was able to make a new punch.. it took most of the day to do it, the bolt was ultra hard.. seemed to be much harder than the stock lee sizing punch. so with any luck maybe it wont bend on me.

here is a pic of the new punch i made next to the bent lee stock punch.

so for all those who are going to be trying to make their own point forming dies.. it maybe best to make a different harder punch than the stock lee sizing punch.. they are soft steel..

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Re: lee .224 sizing die punch not hard enough to swage

Post by Daywalker on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:39 am

I plan on making harder punches for the point forming dies that I will be making to offer up for sale. I have ordered a small supply of blank dies and should be on their way here for me to get started with making the dies.

It makes since for Lee not to produce such a hardened punch as their intent purpose was just to push cast boolits into a sizing die without much pressure at all. However, taking the factory punch and torching it to a glow red and quinching in oil will make the punch harder.

I will be working on making different punches for different styles...

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:44 am

Daywalker wrote:I plan on making harder punches for the point forming dies that I will be making to offer up for sale. I have ordered a small supply of blank dies and should be on their way here for me to get started with making the dies.

It makes since for Lee not to produce such a hardened punch as their intent purpose was just to push cast boolits into a sizing die without much pressure at all. However, taking the factory punch and torching it to a glow red and quinching in oil will make the punch harder.

I will be working on making different punches for different styles...

man, i would love it if you could make a boat tail punch! lol.. man that would be a sweet 224 bullet.

Smile
dan

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:46 am

Uh... I have not gotten that far yet in fabricating lol. I am still learning.. It could be a possibility. I know someone that has a boatail but I believe it is actually another whole seperate die but for a different set up. I need to talk to him some more anyways..

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:47 am

hay daywalker.
i also did another expierement, and pressed a 224 upside down.. with the lead opening at the bottom.. it made a sweet solid point bullet.

if i could find a way to make a semi boat tail punch, it may curl the open bottom inward to allot it to become a flat solid base.. we would have a fmj then..

Smile
dan

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:51 am

as you can see, i have made a fiew of the .224 bullets so far with my home made point forming die.

around 400 so far, and so far so good.

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:52 am

Make a gas check die for a .224 bullet, gas check it then push it in backwards and you would have a fully enclosed bullet as well. One might be able to make a bottom punch and drill a boat tail profile, then while you push it up to point form, the bottom punch may profile that base into a boat tail base. Since the case is already annealed with the molten lead, it should be soft enough.

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:54 am

Daywalker wrote:Make a gas check die for a .224 bullet, gas check it then push it in backwards and you would have a fully enclosed bullet as well. One might be able to make a bottom punch and drill a boat tail profile, then while you push it up to point form, the bottom punch may profile that base into a boat tail base. Since the case is already annealed with the molten lead, it should be soft enough.

but whenever you use a gas check like that, there's always a chance of the gas check comming off. where if you used a boat tail like punch.. it would be all the same brass, removing the possibility of the base comming off..

anyways.. soo many possibilities when you make your own.. lol.. its endless..

Smile
dan

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:42 pm

DanRickard wrote:as you can see, i have made a fiew of the .224 bullets so far with my home made point forming die.

around 400 so far, and so far so good.

Must have a look see at this point forming die

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:24 pm

here are the pics of my forming die.

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by xboxhacker on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:57 pm

@DanRickard

Where did you get the point forming die? Or did you make it?

xboxhacker

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:59 pm

xboxhacker wrote:@DanRickard

i made it from streaded bar stock.

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:02 pm

DanRickard wrote:
xboxhacker wrote:@DanRickard

i made it from streaded bar stock.

here is a pic of the point cutting bit a made to cut the point into the bar stock after it was center drilled.

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by xboxhacker on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:08 pm

WOW!

xboxhacker

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:37 pm

xboxhacker wrote:WOW!

lol.. thanks..

Smile