surplus 5.56 ammo ????????551

surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by sdsviper on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 pm

I have a few thousand or so of 5.56 surplus ammo they are 55gr and my 1--9 twist ruger mini 14 will not shoot them well past 100yd. I have reloaded some with 62gr and 68gr bullets and they shoot well out to 200yd (that's as far as I have shot them). I would like to pull the bullets dump the powder and work up a load with new powder and bullets but keep the primer ( FL resize without decaping) would this work or should I just shoot them and load from there? confused affraid

sdsviper
Member
Member

Posts: 405
Join date: 2010-11-04
Age: 55
Location: SW Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by XbonesX on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:09 pm

It would work and I'd suggest doing it over just shooting it all up. James had a video series he called "Mexican Match" but I couldn't find the first couple videos, just the last one.

my only other suggestion would be not wasting the surplus powder. measure the powder from each case to get an average and then rework the load.

_________________

XbonesX
Mod

Posts: 964
Join date: 2010-10-18
Location: Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by Reload3006 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:34 pm

yea it will work fine shouldn't be an Issue at all. I wouldn't even think that you would need to resize them just maybe neck size them to take the crimp out.

Reload3006
Member
Member

Posts: 1761
Join date: 2010-11-19
Age: 55
Location: West Plains, Mo. , St. Louis ,Mo.

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by sdsviper on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:36 pm

I wondered about using the powded and droping back 10% or so on the load. I pull 6 rds and the powder is a ball type (little discs) and they all were 27gr. My speer book shows a FMJ BT 55gr with 27 gr of varget. Hodgdon shows varget with a 69gr HPBT starting at 24gr and max at 26 gr Compressed. I think I will start at 24gr with my 68gr HPBT and work from there. Troll

sdsviper
Member
Member

Posts: 405
Join date: 2010-11-04
Age: 55
Location: SW Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by kcatto on Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Reload3006 wrote:yea it will work fine shouldn't be an Issue at all. I wouldn't even think that you would need to resize them just maybe neck size them to take the crimp out.




Last edited by kcatto on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

kcatto
Member
Member

Posts: 648
Join date: 2010-11-14
Age: 42
Location: Oklahoma

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by hawcer on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:03 pm

sdsviper wrote:I wondered about using the powded and droping back 10% or so on the load. I pull 6 rds and the powder is a ball type (little discs) and they all were 27gr. My speer book shows a FMJ BT 55gr with 27 gr of varget. Hodgdon shows varget with a 69gr HPBT starting at 24gr and max at 26 gr Compressed. I think I will start at 24gr with my 68gr HPBT and work from there. Troll

Varget is extruded, so I'd be carefull in following Varget loads as a guide for your unknown ball/flake powder...just keep that in mind.

_________________
You are finally comfortable with your casting capabilities when you find yourself casting boolits with sandals on!

hawcer
Mod

Posts: 1896
Join date: 2010-11-04
Age: 42

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by Reload3006 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:22 pm

This is Just a guess and only a guess so take it for what its worth. If it is us manufacture 5.56 it could be Bl-c I would check and see if its close to that. but still if your going to a heaver bullet dont think id use that powder unless I knew for absolute certain it is bl-C

Reload3006
Member
Member

Posts: 1761
Join date: 2010-11-19
Age: 55
Location: West Plains, Mo. , St. Louis ,Mo.

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by sdsviper on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:11 am

hawcer wrote:
sdsviper wrote:I wondered about using the powded and droping back 10% or so on the load. I pull 6 rds and the powder is a ball type (little discs) and they all were 27gr. My speer book shows a FMJ BT 55gr with 27 gr of varget. Hodgdon shows varget with a 69gr HPBT starting at 24gr and max at 26 gr Compressed. I think I will start at 24gr with my 68gr HPBT and work from there. Troll

Varget is extruded, so I'd be carefull in following Varget loads as a guide for your unknown ball/flake powder...just keep that in mind.

Will do. I'm still looking up info I like my body parts to much to get crazy with a unkown powder. grim2a

sdsviper
Member
Member

Posts: 405
Join date: 2010-11-04
Age: 55
Location: SW Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by sdsviper on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:16 am

Reload3006 wrote:This is Just a guess and only a guess so take it for what its worth. If it is us manufacture 5.56 it could be Bl-c I would check and see if its close to that. but still if your going to a heaver bullet dont think id use that powder unless I knew for absolute certain it is bl-C

It's LC brass so it maybe Bl-C. I will keep checking on info I may go with a known powder an store this powder I may end up with a rifle that likes 55gr some day. Shocked

sdsviper
Member
Member

Posts: 405
Join date: 2010-11-04
Age: 55
Location: SW Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by Daywalker on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:25 pm

You could always get you a thing of Bl-C and do a taste test???

Just joking, could not resist that one....

Just be careful as I know you will. Your grandchildren will appreciate it.....

_________________
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Posts: 2320
Join date: 2010-10-18
Location: Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by sdsviper on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:14 am

Daywalker wrote:You could always get you a thing of Bl-C and do a taste test???

Just joking, could not resist that one....

Just be careful as I know you will. Your grandchildren will appreciate it.....

Powder it's what for dinner. LOL Shocked

sdsviper
Member
Member

Posts: 405
Join date: 2010-11-04
Age: 55
Location: SW Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: surplus 5.56 ammo ????????

Post by Daywalker on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 am

LOL Nice....

_________________
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Posts: 2320
Join date: 2010-10-18
Location: Virginia

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum