Reloading 37mm Flares551

Reloading 37mm Flares

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reloading 37mm Flares

Post by DanRickard on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm

hay guys.. i'm doing some 37mm flare launcher reloads.. and was wondering if anyone knows where i can buy the primer bases?

a buddy of mine purchased a 37mm launcher, and came to me about reloading them.. we where able to find rebuild kits.. but damn they where expensive for just being cardboard.. so i went and did a little R&D, and was able to come up with some creative ways of making 37mm mortors out of cardboard and FFFG black powder.

to test them, i made up a launcher out of pvc and mounted it to a board with a way to trigger it with a pull cord. i wanted to make sure what i was doing was safe, and didn't want a pvc launcher explode in my hands..

so far, i've figured out that even by intentionally overloading and overcharging the mortors with powder, its pretty much impossible to hurt anything as long as your making the mortors out of cardboard alone. the cardboard doesn't allow for pressures to build up enough to be of any concern. but i have been able to get them to fly about 100-200 feet in the air, and have some pretty good detonations.

if anyone has some primer bases for the 37mm i would be interested in buying them, or even doing some trading for them..

thanks,
Dan

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Re: Reloading 37mm Flares

Post by hawcer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't know about primer bases, but this place has all kinds of reloadable shells and stuff for 37mm launchers.

http://mlrdistributing.com/37mm-Reloadable-Shells_c20.htm

I think there is another company that makes reloadable shells that have a high pressure chamber separate from the main chamber for the use of pistol powder instead of BP.

hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:19 pm

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/37mm-adapters-c-77_82.html

RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:36 pm

RemMan700 wrote:http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/37mm-adapters-c-77_82.html

naw.. dont really want adapters. once you put an adapter into it. the laws change greatly.

essentially, its no longer a flare gun. but is a full fledged gun, kinda like a masterkey.. also from what i've read on some other forums, is that the 12guage adapters do more harm than good to 37mm launchers.. mainly because the mounting is not really designed to handle a 12 guage load.

but thanks anyways.

Smile
dan

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:08 pm

I've never had any dealings with the 37mm so can't offer anything. It would be interesting so see some pics of your test rig though- -

eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:43 pm

DanRickard wrote:
RemMan700 wrote:http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/37mm-adapters-c-77_82.html

naw.. dont really want adapters. once you put an adapter into it. the laws change greatly.

essentially, its no longer a flare gun. but is a full fledged gun, kinda like a masterkey.. also from what i've read on some other forums, is that the 12guage adapters do more harm than good to 37mm launchers.. mainly because the mounting is not really designed to handle a 12 guage load.

but thanks anyways.

Smile
dan

I dont think the 12 gauge flares have anywhere near the power of a 12ga shotshell. Aren't the 12ga flare guns made of plastic? I would not think an aluminum alloy launcher would be damaged. How do the laws change if you are shooting a flare cause it would be the same as a regular flare gun?

RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:45 pm

I dont think the 12 gauge flares have anywhere near the power of a 12ga shotshell. Aren't the 12ga flare guns made of plastic? I would think an aluminum alloy launcher would be damaged. How do the laws change if you are shooting a flare cause it would be the same as a regular flare gun?

oh.. sorry, i assumed 12guage adapter for 12 guage shells.. not 12 guage flares.

if used for 12 guage flares, then i dont see it hurting anything.

but if used for 12 guage shells.. diff story.

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah if you used 12ga shot shells then it would have to be registered as a destructive device ($200 tax stamp).

RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:51 pm

eagle60 wrote:I've never had any dealings with the 37mm so can't offer anything. It would be interesting so see some pics of your test rig though- -

ok.. well. here they are.

next time i take it apart, i'll take some pics of the inner workings.

basically inside, it has a pvc cap drilled through side to side, with a small hole at the top. the spring bolt goes through it, and moves the inner cap to move up and down.
inside i cut down a bolt to act as a firing pin.. the end is pointed where the base is mounted to the pvc cup on the top.

the small hole at the bottom allows for a nail to be placed into it, and hold it back until the nail is pulled with a line.. i'm using an old strap as a pull line.. allows me to get a good 10 - 15 feet away from it.

Smile
dan

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm

RemMan700 wrote:Yeah if you used 12ga shot shells then it would have to be registered as a destructive device ($200 tax stamp).

yea.. nice tax stamp.. dont want to go that direction.

the funny thing is.. i'll bet, that if you had the adapter on you, and happen to have some regular 12 guage shot gun shells along with the ar15 with the 37mm launcher mounted, as well as a 12 guage rifle next to it.. you would still be considered distructive device.. because it COULD be used as such.. lol.

Smile
dan

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Mighty slick! Yeah, I like the idea of having some distance between me and whetever is going "BOOM" lol Thanks for posting the pics.

eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:03 pm

eagle60 wrote:Mighty slick! Yeah, I like the idea of having some distance between me and whetever is going "BOOM" lol Thanks for posting the pics.

yea.. the first time we set one off, i had a 100 foot cord setup, and we took it out to the deep woods gravel pit.. informed everyone who was there just what we planned to do, cleared the area.. then set 3 off.

just because i wasn't sure if the black powder would blow the pvc or not.

but now, after doing a good 20 or so of them with much variations, i can safely say they are VERY Safe to use.

i've done tests to confirm that they are safe, such as setting off a mortor with a extra heavy propellant charge, about 5x what you would normally do.. as well as having the mortor its self being more than 5 oz of weight with the 5x charge behind it.. just making sure that things would hold up.. the results of those tests proved that no matter how much powder you put into them, it wont explode. mainly because the cardboard construction of the mortors doesn't allow pressure to build.

i'm still working on the mortor designs but so far, they are pretty nice..

i've been setting off blank mortors with no detonation charge, and only propellant in my back yard like crazy.

here's a pic of some mortors i've made by hand.

DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:31 am

37 mm flare guns and non-lethal launchers are a whole lot of fun!!!!

Try this web site for 37 mm stuff but be aware that the law does take a dim view of persons putting a 12 ga non-flare load in the launchers not made for lethal material.

http://www.okiebigbores.com/37mm.htm

Offers some loading material and suggested loads.

http://www.freewebs.com/grog/products.htm

Offers some really good molds for making some of your own projectiles and clones of some military varients.

I have both CDs somewhere and they contain a wealth of information that might come in handy when the zombies rise. Good information and neat reading and I like some of the creative ways that they suggest for making some clones of common rounds like parachute flares, rubber ball, and bean bag rounds.

scorge30

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top